Nikon Coolpix S800c: Android-Powered Compact Camera

The Nikon Coolpix S800c is an Android-powered compact camera that treads on the 2 worlds: the compact camera realm and the Android device domain. The great part is that the camera handles both aspects pretty well. While it is not a fantastic camera nor a blazing Android device, it offers a glimpse of mind-bending potentials of converging multiple devices.



- 16 megapixels 1/2.3" CMOS sensor
- 25-250mm 10x optical zoom
- ISO 125-3200
- F3.2-5.8
- 3.5-inch OLED touchscreen, WVGA
- Android OS 2.3.3
- GPS, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth
- 184g with battery and SD card

Heads turn when I showed them the S800c and what it could do. I mean, who would have imagined a compact camera that can browse the Internet or play games or read emails?

Facebooking on the S800c


Things I like about the camera:
Use any Android camera app to shoot with fast AF and shutter response!


Areas I find limiting about the camera
I haven't seen such low benchmark scores for a long time.

Summary
I admit I was pushing the camera a bit hard when reviewing the S800c. You can't blame me: the materialisation of an Android-powered compact camera is a camera geek's dream.With converged devices like the Nikon S800c, photography enthusiasts can have our cake and eat it. And frankly, I have never had so much fun with a compact camera for a long long time. I really enjoy using the Nikon S800c and I don't feel at all uncomfortable using the Android apps extensively on the responsive touchscreen.

Yet, the S800c has not reached its destination. It runs on an older Android OS which doesn't support some popular social apps, and makes the Android experience less satisfactory. The recent announcement of Samsung Galaxy Camera overshadows Nikon's first mover advantage.

The Nikon Coolpix S800c has shown us that it is now possible to hope for the unthinkable, to build multi-function devices in a small form factor.



This article is also published on XINMSN.

Labels: , , ,