Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga: Review

I have been a long time ThinkPad laptop user, thanks to my company's wise decision to procure ThinkPad laptops for office use. My first Lenovo laptop (X61) lasted me almost 5 years before my IT department replaced it with my current ThinkPad X230. Lenovo keyboard remains a favourite among all other laptop brands I have tried, and ThinkPad laptops have proven to be tough and durable. As a mouse user, I could never use a trackpad efficiently, yet I love the Lenovo red TrackPoint with 3 buttons below it. I also appreciate the pre-installed ThinkVantage productivity apps that manage the laptop settings, like creating battery optimisation, network access.



Last year, after reviewing the first-generation Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 13, I actually went to buy one for myself. I like the slim form factor, multi-mode setup (laptop, tent, tablet and stand), and overall performance. So imagine the delight when Lenovo comes out with a marriage of both product lines: The ThinkPad Yoga.



Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga is basically a ThinkPad in Yoga design. You can fold the display all the way to the back of the keyboard into a sleek tablet. The body is made of a good mix of quality plastic and metal, just like the other ThinkPad models. Like a ThinkPad, it comes with the red TrackPoint and familiar trackpad.



ThinkPad Yoga Specs




What Is Great






As I go about personalising the Windows, installing my favourite apps and updating the system to the latest software, I can feel the immense speed and responsiveness of the ThinkPad Yoga. Touch actions respond without hesitation, websites load faster, files download faster. I previously reviewed the ASUS Transformer Book Trio with the same Intel i7-4500U 1.8GHz (3.0GHz turbo) processor (but running on a mechanical HDD), and the Dell XPS 11 with Intel i5-4210Y 1.5GHz (1.9GHz turbo) (but on a faster SSD). The processor specs did not deviate much, but the overall performance is miles apart. Using Passmark benchmarking tool, it appears the RAM and SSD are strong contributors to the performance. In short, the ThinkPad Yoga makes Windows 8 look good.


Complains




Conclusion

The Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga is the snappiest laptop I have reviewed in recent months. As a ThinkPad, it's a reliable workhorse. As a Yoga, it offers flexible ways to use the ultrabook. It is the perfect machine for the serious consumer who needs an enterprise-grade laptop that is also fun to use.


Labels: , , ,